Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Looking for a bioinformatics expert?

What I have to offer:
  • A balanced background in both biology (BSc) and computer science (BCS)
  • Soon to be completed PhD
  • Extensive research experience in bioinformatics, genomics, phylogenetics/phylogenomics, evolution, and bacteria pathogenesis
  • Some previous research experience in medical imaging, ontology development, and metagenomics
  • An impressive publishing record (7 papers, 3 first authors, 2 more first authors under review)
  • Solid computational skills including Perl programming, database design (MySQL), parallel programming, and web design (PHP & JavaScript)
  • Good communication and social skills
  • More information
What I am looking for:
  • Post-doc or job (academic or industrial)
  • Preferably, a position where I have some significant manager or leadership responsibilities
  • Geographically interested in north eastern parts of North America (Ottawa down to New York), but would entertain positions elsewhere in N.A.
I didn't put any limitations on research interests, since I am open to many areas. However, anything having to due with the human microbiome project, human-bacteria interactions, or metagenomics would be of particular interest.

Please email me if you are interested or if you have suggestions on some good openings.

4 comments:

Benjamin Good said...

I'm looking for an expert.. I have this big project I need to finish in two weeks that requires a skilled, PhD level bionformatician's attention - formatting my PhD thesis document! ;). 5.5 years of training and the pinnacle is document formatting skill..

More seriously, have you looked at the Nature jobs board?
http://www.nature.com/naturejobs/index.html

Morgan Langille said...

Hmmmm....I can manage large datasets easily, but formatting a thesis in Word is much tougher problem ;)

Surprisingly, I haven't looked at Nature Jobs yet. Thanks for the reminder!

Jonathan Eisen said...

Am hiring

In exactly your areas

We should talk

Morgan Langille said...

Thanks Jonathan for contacting me. I look forward to hearing more about your positions!