Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Hello California!

Well UC Davis to be more precise. I accepted a postdoctoral fellowship from Jonathan Eisen to be a part of the iSEEM project working on metagenomics. I have only been here for a few days, and first impressions seem great. First, the research field is exactly what I was most interested in; second, my previous PhD research is definitely of relevance; and third, I feel like I have lots to learn from the people around me.

Considering my previous Blog tag line/description is inaccurate:
"A PhD student's point of view on bioinformatics, evolution, and microbial diversity; with an interest in cutting edge computer tools that make them all a bit easier."

I decided to radically change it to:
"A post-doc's point of view on bioinformatics, evolution, and microbial diversity; with an interest in cutting edge computer tools that make them all a bit easier."
Jonathan's opinion on open-access publishing is quite similar to my own, so in addition to blogging about microbial evolution, expect to see more posts about my views on academic publishing.

1 comment:

Barak said...

Hi,

Since I noticed that you're interested in open access publishing, I wanted to let you know that we've started an effort to build an open access web portal for scientific research. Through an online collaboration, analysis and publication engine we aim to provide a virtual laboratory environment where they can share their research from conception to finished product. We are building the next generation scientific platform that aims to unify researchers in academia as well as enable transparency and availability in scientific data.

visit us at orwik.com or orwik.blogspot.com

Barak